• Français

Stuttering : When is it necessary to see a doctor?

You should see your doctor when you notice one of the following signs:

Your child stutters frequently:

  • Word, sound or syllable repetitions: “To-to-tomorrow, I’ll go to the park.”
  • Sound prolongations: “Mmmmme too, I want some.”
  • Blockage (sound is not produced): “______Hello.”
  • Your child repeats a word more than two times.
  • Your child’s speech is accompanied by tense facial and neck muscles (they seem to be struggling to get the words out) or other associated movements (ex: eye blinks).
  • Your child avoids speaking (ex: does not speak words that are more difficult to say or refuses to speak).

Stuttering is generally diagnosed by a speech-language pathologist, a health care professional who is trained to test and treat individuals with speech and language disorders. Initial assessments and treatment of stuttering disorders generally take place in a regional physical rehabilitation centre. Contact the establishment nearest you to learn more about their admission criteria. If you live on the Island of Montreal, click on the following link to locate the rehabilitation centre nearest you or, if applicable, to learn about the Centre de réadaptation Marie Enfant’s service request procedures.

About this page
Updated on 11/7/2023
Created on 1/16/2015
Alert or send a suggestion

Give so that they may Receive!

The CHU Sainte-Justine Foundation’s Mélio Fund – formerly the Fondation Mélio – is an essential pillar of support for the centre of excellence in musculoskeletal disorders and in rehabilitation medicine. It is dedicated to providing ongoing and indispensable support for the 5,000 children with locomotor or speech impairments being cared for at the Marie Enfant Rehabilitation Centre (CRME).


Contact Us



© 2006-2014 CHU Sainte-Justine.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Use, Confidentiality, Security


All information contained within the CHU Sainte-Justine site should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a duly qualified and authorized medical practitioner or any other health professional. The information provided on this site is intended for educational and informational purposes only.

Consult your physician if you feel ill or call 911 for any medical emergency.

Centre de réadaptation Marie Enfant